Gilling East is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It lies on the main B1363 road between York andHelmsley and two miles south of Oswaldkirk. The village, with a population of fewer than 200, lies in the Howardian Hills just south of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and close to Ampleforth Abbey and College.Gilling Castle lies on a hill overlooking the village. It began as a towerhouse built by Thomas Etton sometime in the fourteenth century. Later in 1492 it passed to the Fairfax family and remained in their hands until 1793. Most of the castle we see today dates from their period of occupancy.
© Stephen Candler Photography